Thursday, August 16, 2012

Today's homeschooling journey...for my records sake! :)

Though we didn't start until after 1pm, we managed to do a whole day's lessons for all three boys in before 5pm. (OK, not a whole day's because Carson is in a review stage and not a progress stage, but two of the three really did a whole day's lessons.) It's working OK to have them all working at the same time. It's harder for me to give Jax work to do while I'm working with the others...last year seemed easier somehow. Maybe he can do things on the computer (like Spelling City - see below) while the others are working...need more headphones so the noise doesn't distract the others.

Ended the day with Spelling City for the two oldest - Jax did his spelling words, Carson worked on a few site words

Skipped Phonics for Jax (grade 4) - seemed to be beneath his abilities...just take assessments for awhile? Didn't get to art...started too late? Maybe do it in the am? Vocab was tough because he needed to write...how can I get him to hand write sometimes...taking it out of spelling, but there are necessary times, no?

Ed (Kindergarten) still feeling underwhelmed...needs more advanced work. Trying to keep it simple not to overwhelm...wrong approach? Liked the technology lessons and math games - though the math was pretty simple

Ella (age 3) needs something to do...how can I keep her engaged while working with the others. She liked playing Eddie's math game. Need to find preschool games for her - needs headphones.

Carson (1st/2nd grade) worked on site words...need to do more of that (twice a day maybe) - why does he fight it? What other ways can we do it? Need to post his word wall so he can see his progress...might help make him eager to learn more....show the progress to Dad everyday? How can I encourage without overwhelming? He seemed to really enjoy math today...why? Used dry erase place value chart with ones cubes, 10s rods and 100s flats...what was so special about that?

Needs to be more fun...breaks like I was thinking...different ways to go down stairs? Run around the house? Simple art between subjects?

Really need to work this all through, but Ed wants his laptop so for now I am posting as is and hope that I will get back to it soon! 

No comments: