Friday, August 3, 2012

A Mini-Vacation

I was going to write a Facebook Status today, but I had so much to say I decided to come back to this blog and share it. I havne't written in so long and I don't have a good reason, but I do feel like it's about time to get back to it!

This week, I was lucky enough to have a mini-road trip with my husband and leave the kids home with family. We don't get to do this very often so it always greatly appreciated. He had to come for a conference which meant that I had to spend the day yesterday in the big city by myself. I was nervous all day - being alone in a big town is bad enough, but driving in a big town, craziness! Thankfully, my wonderful husband swapped phones with me and I was able to use his GPS as my personal friend!

Really, as I was driving through town, I looked forward to her telling me when to turn and when I had arrived at my destination. I am one of those people who likes to be with others, not spending a lot of time alone so to spend the entire day alone was a stretch for me, BUT I LOVED IT!

I went to the stores I wanted to go to and spent hours in there if I wanted. I bought lots of stuff for my kids, but it was stuff I wanted to buy for them, not stuff they were begging me to buy. I also bought some stuff for our new school room. I am eager to start a new school year and try some new things. I want to make school fun and rewarding, not just a pain for all of us.

Anyway, back to my road trip:
I went to JoAnn's etc shop and spent two hours wondering around looking at fabrics and books about quilting, imagining what I would make with all of the supplies there.  Then I didn't know where to go next so I started towards a Wal-Greens courtesy of my friend, G (the GPS system in the phone). As I was headed there, I found a Wal-Mart and stopped in there instead. I didn't get a cart because that's always the death of me. I spend way too much money when I get a cart there so instead, I only bought strawberries and allergy medicine.

I needed to find a book for my husband's presentation at the conference so I searched for a Barnes & Nobel with G and she led me directly there...making sure to tell me that I had arrived. I spent about 90 minutes in there enjoying all the books and time alone. I didn't find the one I wanted, but I did find some I needed anyway.

As I was driving the book store, I saw a scrapbook store that I had to stop at so after B&N, G led me right back there. It was a not a stop I needed to make, but it was a great stop anyway. I bought things thinking about making cards for a couple of friends and some other stuff that I know my mom will like to use in her scrapbooks. I haven't scrapbooked since my baby girl was born over 3 years ago. I kind of miss it, but at the same time, I just wish I had more time.

Last night, we enjoyed dinner in the hotel and worked on his presentation some while we just enjoyed each others company. Tonight we have to head home so we can take the kids to the rodeo at the county fair. The kids are excited to go and I just hope I don't melt while we're there. Then the rest of the weekend is all about fair activities, too. Hopefully I will get some good pics and share them soon.

No comments: