Edison talked about fruits and colors - very simple for him. In the core lessons we did more review of the /s/ sound. He is doing better about recognizing the beginning sound in sentences, but he still is struggling a little. I need to work with him throughout the day and ask him which words he is hearing through the day that start with the /s/ sound.
Carson read another story in the K12 phonics reader number 4. He was upset because it had so many pages, but he managed and was actually better than he thought. For math, he compared numbers in the hundreds using his base-10 blocks and the place value chart. He didn't have much trouble especially using the base-10 blocks -- he definitely learns better when he can use his hands. I need to work that back into our reading time as well.
I think what I'm saying is that I need to spend more than just the time in the school room reinforcing those things that we are learning in school...this should be a simple concept and something that I do naturally. Why I struggle with this is beyond me. If I write it down and hold myself accountable to it, maybe it will be better. Maybe.
Jaxson read another 20 pages in Robinson Crusoe today. I think we are up to lesson 20 in Reading. (We haven't been doing all of the vocab lessons as such, but he has passed every assessment on his own so I would say his vocab is OK.) When he finishes with the reading curriculum, I am just planning to add some of the novels we already have on hand. He wrote his topic sentence for his favorite food composition...well, I should say that he wrote two topic sentences...one that was just crazy and then a better one. (The crazy one had something to do with interdiminsional properties.)
We worked through the last lesson's science with plant types and then broke for lunch. He is frustrated that he doesn't get to do his work first, but yet he likes to read in the morning so I don't know what he wants. I think he's just frustrated that it takes him a little longer to get his work done. I need to find some educational games that Eddie & Carson can play quietly in the reading corner while Jax & I wrap up school.
After lunch, we completed a whole day's lessons. Since he has been reading the novel so quickly, we are skipping past most reading for the most part. If it is something that he needs to review, we will review it more in depth when we come to it again. (Today's reading was analogies which he has done since 1st grade and has no trouble understanding.) We also reviewed our Maps, Graphs, and Globes booklet. He drew a map of our property as you would see it from an airplane. This is a great exercise that I think all the kids should practice more often.
We started our first science experiment today...will a seed grow without water?! Well, we will see over the next 10 days. All the kids wanted to get in on the fun so I took these pics with my cell phone.
In spelling, we reviewed his words with Spelling City. Last week this worked well so I am hoping it will continue to help him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment