Monday, August 20, 2012

Homeschool Today

Today, Edison "read" his first story in the phonics readers. He looked at the pictures and told the story just based on what he saw. He seemed to enjoy this task. He compared numbers in math (which he thought was very easy) completing 5 worksheets. He is having a little trouble with matching beginning sounds, but I think he is just easily distracted by his brothers and that he doesn't listen as thoroughly as he could.

Carson wrote the number words zero through ten and will continue this tomorrow with the numbers through 20 and then by tens the next day...he can only handle a little at a time or he gets overwhelmed. We are still re-reading selections from last year right now. He read the story pretty easily today and even had questions about punctuation and why "said" wasn't always after quotation marks.  Normally, he is so hard to get to read...he just shuts down and I can't get through. He was fine for the first two pages today, but then there were four rows of text and he was troubled by the sheer amount. Then there were all the distractions (his siblings, the ones cubes, the stuff on the table and the rest of the book)...I am lost! What to do is the next question...

Jaxson had a composition assignment which could have been a lot of trouble, but to avoid as much as possible, I had him type it instead of write it. It still took a long time and he didn't do it 100% like I wanted it done, but he did complete the assignment. After we broke for lunch, he did Spelling City with unscrambling the words. (It didn't work for all 20, but it did work for 15/20 which I guess is OK.) The rest of his lessons today were very much review from what he had already done in 2nd/3rd grade. Science was even mostly review. I think it went into a little more detail about cells than he had done before, but still it was very simple for him. I think our biggest challenges this year will continue to be spelling and handwriting as they have been for the last four years.

(As always with boys, there were plenty of butt jokes, but that's just life with boys, right?!)

No comments: