I have to post about this because it's troubling, but I know that it is very common. I am only in my second day (as is Jax), but we had a little more trouble staying on task today. He didn't want to color or draw anymore after he had to color in his hands for a math assignment. He would not sit still and he kept talking. I know he is very smart and very capable, but why does he not choose to cooperate...then again, why do I see his behavior as uncooperative? Maybe because I was in school where we sat behind a desk and did things "school-like" and we didn't have any other options.
I need to lighten up and give Jax the credit he deserves. He completed an entire math lesson, took two assessments for math and did 90% of a science lesson, too. I think I am being too pushy. We are still having swim lessons in the mornings and maybe I need to lighten up to one lesson a day until we get done with swimming, but we are supposed to do 4-5 lessons a day during the normal year.
R E M E M B E R :
It's only the second day!!!
I need to back off my expectations and allow him to get accustomed to being in school, too. It's hard for everyone at first. We have 9 months to get it all together and finished!!!
EDITED:
I asked Jax why he was coloring when he wouldn't do any more writing for his school stuff and he told me because the school stuff is boring and he already knows it all...which is true. I need to work harder to find stuff to make it more challenging for him. Maybe I can skip a few math lessons and go into some new stuff and then work on the older stuff again later. OR maybe we don't do the lessons, just the assessments when he knows the stuff. I don't want him to be bored...that's the main reason I am homeschooling him.
One problem is that I don't know who my education specialist is with Lawrence yet so I don't really have an "expert" to ask. I'll just go with what feels right for now and ask when I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment