Thursday, October 9, 2008

Monsters and Moods

I have to blog about this before I forget. I know that kids are emotional and that they really absorb the world around them. (Don't we all know that if we are sad, our kids seem to be a little more that way, too?) Well, lately, Eddie has really been "scared" of monsters. (He says "monners," but he's talking about monsters.) It all started the night of the VP Debate. I took Ed & Carson down early so that they wouldn't bother Mark & Mom while they watched the debate. I asked Carson to get me a diaper from the dresser for me, but he wouldn't do it because he was scared of monsters. From that moment on, Ed wouldn't be out of my reach. He wanted to sleep, but he didn't want me to turn off the light. When I did turn off the light, he grabbed my arm and held on so tight that I thought I was going to lose circulation.
I have other children and I know that there are legitimate fears, but it seems so odd to me that someone who isn't even two and can barely talk, will bring up monsters out of the blue and be very scared. This afternoon he came back to the living room after being in the toy room and said it. I tried to not make a big deal out of it, but I just wonder what he's seeing or experiencing. I am not one to put "ghosts" out of the realm of possibilities, but I just wish he could better communicate to me what was going on.
The first time, I thought it was just because Carson had mentioned it, but he does it more frequently now and I just don't know what to think...any advice?
We had another similar experience a few days ago. Someone pulled into our driveway which isn't that uncommon because people often pull in at the end and turn around, but this guy came farther up, past our normal turn around point. Roger started barking and everyone in the house was curious. My dad even went to retrieve his "protection" from the other room. (which brings up a funny story: Jax said to him later "Papa, why did you go hide when that truck was in the driveway?" I knew what Dad was doing, but I didn't really want to bring it up so we just let it slide as our own little inside joke) ANYWAY, Edison got very concerned and climbed up in my lap and once again wouldn't get out of my reach.
I just feel like he's expereincing something that I don't understand and wish I had a better grasp on it. Other than that, life is pretty normal around here as far as it goes. The wierdest thing is that I am having "morning sickness" with this baby, too, BUT it's happening in the middle of the night. I have never had that before and it makes for very long days! We're coping and tomorrow I go to the doctor for the first time so we'll see what she has to say after that.

EDITED TO ADD: For a better "truth" of some things, check Mark's blog from a few days back:
http://musementparking.blogspot.com/2008/10/sensitivity-training.html#links

No comments: