Friday, February 17, 2012

Why does love matter?

Last night as we were going to bed, I told Eddie that I loved him. He responded with "I love you, too, Mom" which was amazing in itself because usually he says "I know" and that's that. After a few minutes, he said, "Why is it important to be loved?" I tried to answer with the old standard of it helps make you feel better, it gives you someone to rely on, etc. He still pressed on and one of the other things he said was "So, if I love someone, but they don't love me back, will they not help me out?" Man, this kid is killing me with his thoughts.

He is my distant child. I don't really feel like I know him very well anyway, and then he brings all this up and I'm really lost. I want to show him that love is unconditional, but how? What is the answer? I show him love. I tell him that I love him. I haven't really done anything different with him than I have the others (that I am aware of anyway), but yet he doesn't "get it". How can I help him "get it"?

And then this morning after my shower he said the sweetest thing and it nearly knocked me down. "It's too bad Dad doesn't have wings so he could fly." I said something along the lines of yeah, why? and Eddie responded with "Then he could go visit his Dad, too"...and also that Eddie himself wouldn't' have to get a drivers license if he had wings because he could just fly wherever he wanted to go! (Serious and subtle, right?)

Well, this is two very interesting posts in two days. Are my kids just growing up or am I starting to think harder? I love them all and I am grateful they are getting older and more in touch with their feelings, but I am concerned that I don't know how to handle all their feelings and questions...and the oldest is only 9...what will I be like when they have much harder questions as teenagers? Somebody better help me! :)

No comments: