Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beliefs...Got Any?

Today I discovered an AWESOME homeschooling site through a frugal mom I follow on Facebook. The site is called the Five Js and it has so many amazing resources that it will take months to work my way through it all. BUT I am having a hard time today and I'm not sure if this post had anything to do with it or not, but I'm wondering where beliefs come from and if I'm instilling any in my children.

I also read a post on one of my favorite blogs today about influence and creativity which got me thinking WHO inspires me and WHAT I do with that inspiration. It's been a day of deep thought I guess...

The post on the Five Js talks about making sure your kids are confident in their beliefs so that others can't make them falter and lose direction...And I just wonder if I am strong in my beliefs and how I can teach that "skill" to my children. My kids are all so unique and different and some of them have definite opinions on things, but do they really believe in anything?

Jax loves to learn, but does he believe education is the answer? Jaxson loves history, but does he believe it relates to today? Has what he has learned about history changed his beliefs?

Carson loves animals and I think he believes that hunting is wrong, but why? Where did this belief come from? Why does he believe hunting is wrong? Would he change his mind if he had to eat the meat from a hunted animal to survive or would he starve first? (AND yes, I am aware this is a strong exaggeration, but this topic makes my mind wander to far off places!) What (if anything) could change his mind? AND do I want his mind to be changed?

Carson is also very sensitive and loving. He so loves his sister that he gets scratched and bit repeatedly because he doesn't want to leave her alone. Is he going to grow up thinking that to be loved means to be hurt? I sure hope not!

Eddie is definitely the hardest to figure out. He's five, but I feel like I don't know anything about him. He doesn't really talk about anything concrete...he talks about TV, computer and Wii all the time, but he doesn't really talk about life. He doesn't like kisses (which is consistent with all my kids) and he seldom says "I love you" to anyone.

Ellison is still a baby (kind of) at 2.5. Will she grow into a smart, healthy young woman with confidence and poise? (How can that happen when I'm her mom?!) I want her to believe that she is important and that others (especially boys) can't make her into something she doesn't want to be.

I fear that I am doing my kids a severe disservice by not instilling more "beliefs" in them, but then again, I don't want them to just believe what I believe. I want them to make beliefs of their own and support their beliefs on their own. How do you do that?

How do parents manage all of this? Do others really ponder this or do they just go with what they've always known. My parents raised me to be an independent thinker, but I don't' know how they did it. I have always been open to others' opinions and welcomed the chance to discuss a variety of topics. BUT HOW DO I MAKE THIS THE SAME FOR MY KIDS???

No comments: